Monday, December 10, 2007

There are way too many Davids

I met my husband in July of 2000. I knew immediately that we would marry, have children and live happily ever after - but that is another fun story for another time.

After only knowing David for three months, I travelled across the country to meet his parents and extended family. We had not yet even mentioned marriage - but I think we both knew this was the direction we were heading.

We had spent a lovely, yet long, afternoon and evening visiting David's grandparents. David and his Grandpa had spent the majority of the time upstairs tinkering with the computer. I, the new girlfriend of the eldest grandson, was caught on memory lane. David's grandmother took out photo after photo pointing to each figure and explaining the event, doing a character sketch of each person and reminiscing on people, events and happenings. Do not get me wrong, I did enjoy myself. I learned so much about my then future-husband. But every photo had a David in it. Yes - EVERY PHOTO. You see, my husband is David, his father is David and his father is David - who knows how far this naming tradition goes back! By the end of the evening my head was swimming! David. David. David. I could not keep all the stories (or Storries - hee hee!) straight.

We said our goodbyes and headed out. I was sitting quietly on the passenger side as David drove along the coastal highway taking in the surreal scenery. What a beautiful site. The stars were so bright, flickering along the ocean water. Simply breath taking.

David turns to me and asks, "Whatcha thinking?"

I do not comment on the absolute beauty surrounding us - the stars, ocean or mountains. Nope. I do not comment on the wonderful time I had been having on this trip. Nope. Instead, I blurt out," There are way too many Davids in your family!"

With a very sad voice, David replies, "Oh". And then he is very silent.

We drive a few kilometres in silence. Then I ask David, "Whatcha thinking?"

David is quiet for an extra moment. Then seeing a highway look out, he pulls over. I look at the magnificent view, then turn to look over at David. He has a sad look on his face. He takes my hands, leans towards me and innocently asks," Does that mean we cannot name our first son David. I would really like that."


And at that moment, only one David really mattered. My David - the love of my life.

I threw my arms around him and replied very softly," Yes, my love, if you wish to name our first son David, we can. I love you more than anything."

That was over 7 years ago. Today, "my little David" turns four years old. Where has the time gone? Happy Birthday David Joseph!

Dear DJ
Today you turn four. I cannot believe it! You had a very shaky start to life and we almost lost you. You are indeed a medical miracle. But you are more than that. You are a smart, witty, and outgoing little boy. You make my heart sing! You are funny, careful and very deliberate in your thoughts and actions. I am so proud of you. You are kind, loving and a perfectionist. You have kept us on our toes and have caused us many sleepless nights - but it has all been worth it. I pray that I can teach, support and love you enough to empower you to be the man you are meant to be in this world. I am certain you are destined for great things.


You are named after many Davids and I hope that you grow and nurture all the best qualities of these great and wonderful people. May you always be as caring, loving and as emotionally strong as your amazing father. May you always be as outgoing and charismatic as your grandpa. May you be as hardworking and quick thinking as your great-grandpa. May you be the best person you can be and may you always be happy.

I love you Kook-a-boo!

David Joseph Gary

12 comments:

Audrey said...

Happy Birthday! A great story you have there. I guess sometimes, tradition is also a good thing, huh?

Don Mills Diva said...

Aww - happy birthday DJ. I too am surrounded by Davids - my dad, my brother and my nephew. My ex with whome I lived for years was a David so I just thought it was my destiny. In the end I married a Rob...:)

Lainey-Paney said...

awwwwwwwwww.
that was so sweet between you & your david.
....and happy b-day DJ!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!! My hubby is a David too....got to love all of them!

Barrie said...

Happy Belated 4th Birthday, David! David--a good strong name. :)

Family Adventure said...

What a cute story :) How great that you both knew early on that this was *it*.

And Happy Birthday little David.

Heidi

InTheFastLane said...

That is very sweet! There are alot of Davids in the Mr.'s family too. In fact, his middle name is David, named after his older brother who died shortly after being born, who was named after their father.

MamaGeek @ Works For Us said...

Awwww, how sweet. What a sincerely beautiful tribute to a beautiful little David!

Happy (belated) 4th!

Julie Pippert said...

How romantic!!

And LOL at "the Storries straight."

What a great story. :)

Julie
Using My Words

Emily said...

But what a perfect name for a little boy who had to be so strong when so tiny.

Pregnantly Plump said...

How romantic! And happy birthday to your little man! Our son is named after my father, but he also shares his name with one of my uncles, my cousin's husband and her son. Each of them goes by a different "nickname," so thankfully it's not too confusing.

Unknown said...

Had to read that one as in my world, the Davids are/were: my brother, my ex, my ex-employee, my ex-neighbour, my mom's boyfriend & his son, my friend's husband and the guy who bought my house. Yeah, WAY too many!
Not sure how many of your tear-jerking stories I can read though.