Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Celebrating 3 letter C words

Almost 9 years ago I ended a long term relationship. It was time for me to move on. I was not happy...and I knew I deserved better.

So, after 7 years - 7 long years, I packed my bags and left. For the most part, we knew what items in the apartment were originally mine, or his and we did a fairly easy, non-combative division of our processions. Only two items made us sit down and negotiate. Two items that both started with the letter C and each had 3 letters: CAT and CAR.

It was finally decided that I would get the four-legged freak cat and Mark would get the car. To this day I am not sure who won that battle!

So, after 5 years of living with someone, I found myself alone, in my own apartment, with some odd and ends furniture, and a cat. Once the shell shock wore off, I began to rebuild my life. I took extra care to turn my apartment into a home and took care to decorate and buy some nice new items. Cleo, the cat, and I became two single gals redefining who we were and what we wanted out of life. Happiness came much quicker than I ever imagined!

Right away I realized I needed a set of wheels. Driving a cat or taking the bus was not really an option. So, I began to look for a car. I found a sensible, reliable used four-door sedan. Which is funny, since when I began the search I wanted a spiffy, two-door sports car or a fun utility vehicle.

In keeping with tradition I decided to name my new car. My nice white, old-lady car was quickly named Leona. The name fit, and it was in honour of my Meme - Leona Brunet. My Meme was a feisty woman, she may have looked like any other elderly grandmother - but she was a ball of fire! Not many other grandmothers could wear black leather mini-skirts and embellished sweaters, and pull it off!

A few years earlier, when her health had been failing and my relationship with Mark was starting to fail, she had laughed in my face. Yep. Laughed in my face. I had told her that I thought that Mark and I would soon get married and start a family...and she laughed at me. She then told me that I was too good for that boy, and that I need to find true love and be true to myself.

So, when I named my new car - I thought of my Meme. I thought of how she was confident, reliable, strong-willed and a fighter. I thought of her last moments of life, when I held her hand and she took her last breath. I can still feel that breath in me to this day.

I thought of the moment I decided to leave Mark and how I took a deep breath when I finally committed to my decision. I thought of the deep breath I took when I confronted Mark and ended our relationship. I thought of the deep breath I took when I unlocked my new apartment door the first time.

Then, I thought about how a new set of wheels was a big step in regaining my independence and my freedom. I thought of how this new car represented the new journey ahead of me. I thought of how strong and wonderful my Meme had been...and I then named my car Leona.

Leona served me well. She never broke down and did wonders in helping me explore the new world around me.

But Leona, the 3 letter C word, was getting old. My needs and wants in a car changed. So, on this day 7 years ago I purchased a new car. I donated Leona to a young family who really needed her and purchased a brand new, shiny green Z24 Cavalier. Power everything. Sun roof. 5-speed. Zoom. Zoom. Zoom.

I was sad to see Leona go, but I was so excited about my new set of wheels. My nameless set of wheels.

As I drove my brand new car home, I thought of how far I had come in less than 2 years. How much my rocky, almost abusive relationship with Mark had hurt and damaged my spirit. I thought of how much I had did to rediscover myself and to move on in my life. I thought of how happy I was at that moment and how optimistic I was about my life. I was never going to look back. I was finally totally ready to start my new life. As I sped down the highway, with the tunes blaring and the sun roof wide open, I was finally over my relationship and totally ready to move on.

Just then a song came on the radio. A song by Jo Dee Messina. Bye Bye. WOW, did that song really encompass and and reflect my current life situation at the time.

As I pulled into my parking spot, I had a smile on my face and a vow to never look back...and I knew tight then, that my new car would be christened "Joey".

In honour of Joey's birthday, here is the theme song from that time of my life...and I never did look back!



Happy Birthday Joey!!! You are one great car!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Some great writing, I love this post!! Man, look how far you have come and wonderful marriage and family you have now. You go girl!!

Give Joey a spank on the tailpipe for being so awesome, too!

imbeingheldhostage said...

I agree with Karen, great writing and great post. How inspiring (I wish my son had a Meme to laugh at him right now);-)

Mighty Morphin' Mama said...

The song is perfect!
What a wonderful post, so encouraging and full of strength.
And because you were able to say bye-bye, now you have your beautiful family!

Forgetfulone said...

That was a great post! I really enjoyed it - and getting to know you better, too.

Barrie said...

Hello to Joey!

And what a strong, brave woman you are!

Pregnantly Plump said...

I'm sure it took a lot of courage to get out of the comfortable, but not great relationship. It's so great that you did that, and then were able to flourish. What an uplifting post!

Janet said...

Can.

As in "can choose." That's a three letter word that we all need to embrace. I'm glad you did.

Don Mills Diva said...

Laura this might be my fav post ever of yours - it just reminded me that life is always about moving onwards and upwards...

Jules said...

That was a really lovely post. So I'm waiting for the nest installment. Hurry, hurry. Write faster. I'm waaaaaaiting. Toe tapping........... whistles............ raises eyebrows and quirks lips....... still waaaaaaiting.

OHmommy said...

Teeheee.... I loved this post!

Shout out to joey!