So far so good.
Let's back track a bit.
The group meeting on Tuesday went well. The behaviour specialist spoke about defining goals and establishing a support team around you. We also talked about the tips to lifestyle change and goal setting.
We also discussed three key tips for lifestyle change. That is what my program is all about. Yes, it is a weight loss program, but the key is really education and skill to lead a better life that includes proper food and exercise choices.
- A goal is what you WANT to achieve -- habits are not broken, but replaced
- Identify the negative thoughts you have while over eating -- set yourself up for support
- Shed the shame -- be proactive
- Loose 10% of my weight by Thanksgiving. Studies show that a 10% decrease in your weight will greatly improve your health and will reduce many health concerns.
- Keep on plan for the 12 weeks. I think this is attainable. I am determined to make this program work.
During the time between my intake interview/medical tests and the actual start of the core program I remained focused. I am able to brag that between September 5 and September 16 I followed the eating plan I was given and I increased my level of activity. WHAM-OO! 8 pounds shed. I am so happy. So. Happy.
I kept a food diary and really tried to make good decisions. I am super pleased with my hard work. I tried very hard to stay within their 1200 calorie diet - though I did go over a few times. I was amazed at a few things:
- How little water I was consuming before the program. Water is essential. I feel so much better just by increasing my water intake.
- My portions had exploded. I had lost control of what, why and when I was eating. Keeping a journal really helped me.
- How well I do with a little accountability - competition. I was determined not to fail.
I believe that I will always have to rely on a food journal, even after the program is done.
So, at the meeting on Tuesday I was given my "product". Now, for 12 weeks I will not eat anything - only drink the Optifast formula they gave me and LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of water.
It is very important to only have the shakes and no additional calories. The shakes are designed to give you all the stuff your body needs, but to also put your body into a state of ketosis. Apparently, at this point you should not feel hungry and your body will be saving your lean muscle mass and burning your stored fat.
Well, I am mid way through day two and things are going well. If anyone would have said I would try a liquid diet, let alone, not mind it, I would have laughed in their face! But, things are going pretty good.
I am drinking huge amounts of water...and peeing like crazy, but that is suppose to wash your system out. It seems to be working!
So, thus begins my journey.
I do not own a scale and will not be buying one - so results and weigh ins will only happen at my group meetings on Tuesday nights. So, till then, please keep cheering me on!
Poor Madigan...the doctor told me that breastfeeding is not recommended...so no more boobie for her!