Friday, November 21, 2008

Friday Fitness - Investing in You

OHMommy over at Classychaos got me thinking.

Wednesday she wrote a post about Investing in You. Now, Oh Mommy is no ordinary blogger...she is super-duper, beyond belief cool, all inspiring, high-heel-boot-dancing sexy-mama.

Her posts are always informative, thought-provoking, funny and filled with love for her wonderful family. I look forward to her posts and I know you will like them too.

On Wednesday she posted a cool photo of the results of her 12 week boot camp sessions and she ended with the following line:


"It has been a while since I invested in myself, my mental well being, and my physical health. It feels good.I encourage you to invest in yourself too. It is so easy to lose track of yourself, especially as a mother constantly putting yourself before your children. But, if Mama ain't happy no one is happy. Right?"

OHMommy, you could not be any more right. I became a victim of this phenomena of loosing myself while becoming a mother. I became obesely overweight, tired, lazy and sad. I was not happy, and it was starting to show in my patience and parenting style.

But I took action - I had to take action.

I am super proud of my 42 pound weight loss in the last 11 weeks. I have worked hard. I have stuck to my doctor-monitored plan. I have committed. I have succeeded. But I still have a long way to go. I have embraced a new, healthy lifestyle and will continue to invest in me.

As I have been shedding the pounds I have been very committed to increasing the frequency, duration and intensity of my exercise program. I thought perhaps I would start a weekly post called Friday Fitness. This will help me monitor, celebrate and brag about my progress - but it will also become a forum for me to discuss issues, set-backs and challenges.

Here is how I have invested in myself this week:

Monday - Interval running/walking - I am loosely following The Running Room Program and am at 3 min running and 1 minute walking times 5.

Tuesday - Instead of driving for an errand, I jogged (and walked) the 4 KM route.

Wednesday - Boot Camp at Community Centre Gym - My awesome friends Heidi and Dawn are also enduring this pain with me! Awesome motivator to go spend time with my great friends! Man, was it a good workout - the instructor indicated we burned around 500 calories.

Thursday - 90 minute walk with my wonderful friend Dawn (Plus, I spent over an hour racking the leaves in the front yard!)

Friday - Turbo Jam Workout Video - this program ROCKS!

Saturday - I am planning on walking to my French class and hope to go for an interval run with my hubby (oh, I have missed doing that - it has been 5 years!)

Sunday - I have my second indoor soccer game and plan on running my butt off - and scoring a goal!

OK. The wonderfully classy OhMommy asked it of her readers, and now, I ask it of my readers: what are you doing to invest in you?

Oh, OhMommy has a amazing give-away on her blog. GO check it out if you like - but please note that the draw is fixed, and I am going to win these AMAZING Sexy snowbunny" boots from YOU by crocs. ($220 us value). So, basically, there is really no point of you going HERE to have a chance of winning.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Wow! You are doing such an amazing job! I am just so proud of you. Seriously!!! WOW!

Currently I am not doing ANYTHING because I hurt my frigging knee and it is STILL hurting. UGH. I don't think I'll be able to run my 10K next week. :(

Shauna said...

I am new here! What a great blog :)

OHmommy said...

Whoa.. THAT is so stinking awesome. I applaud you!